Proactive and frank stakeholder engagement sits at the heart of our efforts to maintain the sustainability of our business. This is carried out in line with the AA 1 000 principles of:
Our engagement activities fall into two types:
- Direct engagement, including organised dialogues, roundtable discussions, one-on-one meetings, internal surveys and regular engagement with local communities at each operation and project
- Indirect engagement, including the use of external benchmarks and standards that are designed to reflect and address societal expectations
At an operational level, all our mines identify, prioritise and directly engage stakeholder groups that have the potential to affect their operational, sustainability or financial performance.
At a strategic level, our corporate and regional management teams implement an ongoing programme of direct and indirect engagement.
Relevant outcomes from our operational and strategic stakeholder engagement are logged and communicated through our Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) process – and so form a vital part of the Group’s risk management programme.
- Current shareholders
- Potential shareholders
- Investment analysts
- Employee and contractor dependants
- Organised labour
- Regulatory authorities
- Local and labour-sending communities
- Media, NGOs and other opinion formers
- Suppliers and business partners
- Gold consumers